Sunday, July 1, 2012

June 25, 2012

Hey Mom--
My world got flipped upside down. I don`t even know where to start. I guess I will start with my companion. His name is Elder Mercau, he is from Buenos Aires Argentina, and he is 20 years old. He is one of 3 members in his family of 8. He is funny, focused, and he talks VERY Argentinian. He has said a few words that are really bad words here in Chile but they aren't bad in Argentina. He uses like 5 words a day that I have never heard. 
  
We are in the sector called Isla de Maipo, in the zone Talagante. We are doing a whitewash, because neither of us know the sector. It has been a sector of sister missionaries for 12 years now. We are the first Elders here in forever. The sector is enormous. Its all farms. The Maipo river surrounds us, which is why its called Island of Maipo. Its pretty. Let me repeat. Its REALLY pretty. We have a lot of big commercial vineyards. Endless rows of grape vines.
   
We have bikes, but they are girl bikes. They are purple and pink, and I had to take off the basket it had on front to not look too ridiculous. Its weird to ride a bike for 45 minutes and see nothing but vineyards, and shacks with laundry hanging from a line. Its nothing like Santiago. 
 Our house is a moldy dump. No surprise there. The sister missionaries that just left us with the following:
-no gas(to take hot showers or cook)
-no TP
-no investigators that are progressing
-no food
-no matches
etc. 
We are literally starting from 0. NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. 
Isla de Maipo is a branch, not a ward. The leadership is bad. Even my greenie companion noticed how bad the leadership was on his first Sunday in Chile. The members have NO energy or life. There was about 50 people in church. But the branch president didn't even count. When I went to ask him how many people there were, he just estimated. Dur dur dur
  
Our first night out in the sector was memorable. The sector is about the size of Liberty, Huntsville, and Eden. And probably has a population very similar. The people are really poor, or really rich. They either live in a 4 wall wood shack surrounded by mud, or they live in a mega mansion with a beautiful fence and pool and 3 cars. There is some serious rich folk. 
  
The sisters left us about 3 people to teach. None of them are progressing however, and they are all girls. One is like 35, one is 15, and one is 13. We can´t visit them alone, they aren't progressing, and they couldn't even get baptized because they would just go inactive immediately. In the last 2 years, 15 people have been baptized. Of those 15, 1 went to church yesterday. The one recent convert that went to church is deaf and mute. No joke. 80% of the recent converts are girls(because sisters always baptize 13 year old girls that are the first members in their families and go inactive after 2 months)
   
My companion gave a talk on Sunday, because the Branch President asked him to on Saturday. I watched all the branch giggle because of his super heavy accent and weird vocabulary. I don´t think they understand half of what he said. hahahaha
   
President put me as a district leader again, and at first I was wondering why. Because here in the zone Talagante, there has always been just 2 districts. President divided the districts, even though no new sectors opened up, and made a third district. After 1 district meeting here, I think I know why. The leadership in the mission isn't the best. The other district leaders are young and inexperienced, and the zone is really down as far as "results" go. President basically told me in his email today that he put me as a district leader for that. My district has 0 baptismal dates, and 2 progressing investigators. Yikes. 
   
Welp. that's about everything. The location really is beautiful. The little mainstreet is pretty cool. Its about the same size as Torrey, Utah. Its just going to be a lot of contacting and looking for people. And trying to give the members here a shot in the butt to get them going. I had several members come up to me in church and say "oh elder, its really hard to get into a house here. the people are all stubborn."  They are all old sticks in the mud that don´t have the spirit of the work or the faith necessary to find and baptize.
  
I recommend searching on the internet to see if you can find some photos of this area. its pretty. 
Love you
Elder Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment