Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 09, 2012

Changes worked out the way I figured they would. I am now in the zone called 5 de Abril. I am in a sector named Pajaritos. My companion is Elder Barco from Argentina. 5 de Abril is really just a section of Maipu. In other words, I am back in the same part of Santiago where I was a few months ago. I had hoped to get out of the city, but I am now realizing I will probably spend the 2 years within the city limits. quank....
Our sector is huge compared to my last sector. That is a big relief. Also, because it is a Zone leaders sector, It comes with some awesome benefits. Every other time I have had changes, I arrived to a sector that was basically dead. No real investigators. No baptisms for a long time. But here in Pajaritos there has been a constant stream of good missionaries that have passed through here. Its awesome. We have 4 baptismal dates for this month, and we have a goal of 7 by the end of the week. We also have baptismal dates for February.
We are going to go eat, then I will come back and write more....
chao
Hey again--
We just finished eating and now I am back. Today we met up as a zone to play soccer. Then we all went to a huge mall to get food. I bought a memory card for my camera. This mall is just like any other mall in the states. We all went to the food court and I got a chicken sandwich thing. It was alright...should have gotten something from California Burrito...
Well Elder Barco is cool. Speaks like an Argentino. It's funny sometimes. We get along great. A little background about him. He is 24. He's from Mendoza Argentina. He is the middle of 3 boys. They are all members. His family came here to Santiago to get sealed while he was in the mission. They came to the temple here in Santiago because its the closest one to Mendoza. Anyways back in September he got to go to the temple for a day and hang out with his family and get sealed. Pretty cool....
This sector is super dope. Big. Lots of houses. There are probably 10 times more people in this sector then in my last. Maybe more....
The ward is HUGGGEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! On Sunday there was 149 people in church. That is 110 more people than my last ward. Its crazy. They have a functioning Primary, Nursery, Elders, High Priests, YW, YM, EVERYTHING. My mind was blown....
On Friday we went to Concilio at Presidents house. Its a meeting for all the zone leaders in the mission. I finally got to see Presidents house. Wow. Gringo...
The concilio was super cool. They fed us breakfast(gringo), a snack(gringo), and lunch(gringo). The new initiatives were taught to us, which we will in turn teach to our zones. We gave report of our zone and set goals. It was longggg..........we left the house at 7am and got home around 7pm. Lots of metro, bus, etc.
Oh ya. My new pension is awesome. It's a full house. We have it to ourselves. I have a private bathroom. and.........................................for the first time ever.....................................A WASHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got to wash my own clothes for the first time in over a year! It was so awesome. I can't wait to do it again tonight.
If Leigh Leigh wants to try and find me on the internet, the main streets in our sector are Longitudinal, Hugo Bravo, Pajaritos, and El Descanso. Also, it's metro stop Las Parcelas.
This week I was really impressed by something that happened in a lesson we taught. We taught a family named la famila Rojas-Hurtado. The dads name is Luis. He had read in 1 Nefi 13 about the great and abominable church. He asked us....¨SO...........that's basically got to be the Catholic church right?¨. We explained that it isn't necessarily the catholic church, rather any church that isn't the church of God. While we explained it to him, I realized how true our church is just by the organization. Prophets, Apostles, 70, Stake Presidents, Bishops..............The true church is without a doubt the best organized. I know that God lives and He has restored His church through a Prophet. I know that our local leaders are also called of God, and recieve revelation for us. If we listen and obey, we will be protected from the crap this world is full of.
Have a fun week. Enjoy the snow. Send me photos of it.
Elder Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment