Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October 10, 2011

The Zone

Me and Elder Pari

This week has been great. Elder Lowry and I had some great lessons. On Wednesday or so I did divisions with my zone leader, Elder Pari from Peru. We wasted most of the day out of the sector, because I had 3 baptismal interviews to perform. The sister missionaries, in classic sister missionary form, pulled some really bone headed moves. Anyways, Elder Pari and I ended up doing 3 baptismal interviews(2 of which I did, my first ones). The first 2 were a young couple. They were cool, and passed. They were baptized at 9 am Sunday morning in freezing cold water. hehe. The third interview I did wasn't so cool. The woman has been basically an active member for 6 years now. Her ¨husband¨ with whom she has 3 little kids is a faithful member. She finally called the sisters the other day out of the blue and said ¨I want to get baptized this weekend¨. Well, I have never met anyone more knowledgeable and prepared to be baptized in my life. ONE little problem. They aren't married. They live together. WHY the sisters didn't put that together BEFORE they sent her to a baptismal interview, I DONT KNOW. But, as you know, she can't be baptized until they are married. Worst feeling ever for me. Even worse for someone who really wants to be baptized but has been mislead by some ding dong sisters. Well, long story short the woman left the interview a little pissed. I talked to the sisters the other day though, she seems to be doing better.
That day stunk, but then we had just enough time to make it back to my sector with Elder Pari, and we taught one late night lesson with Waldo. We put a baptismal date with him for November 5th. He might end up getting baptized before. He is amazing.
We found out Saturday night that Elder Lowry has changes. We were both bummed. He is the only guy in the whole zone of missionaries that has changes. Oh well. We had a great time together and really got stuff going here in Fernandez Albano.
That isn't the only news. I got another phone call last night. I will be training again. Another gringo. I told Matt, this will be my 4th straight change(6 months) of training. It's likely I will train for 7 and 1/2 months straight of my mission. I was really thinking that I would finally have a latin companion, but that is not the case. On the bright side, I get to go to the temple again on tomorrow. I am pleased about that.
Elder Lowry and I went to a gastroenterologist on Thursday. He wasn't as thorough or as caring as we had hoped. He gave Elder Lowry some serious anti-biotics and some other stuff. He says that if in 1 week all problems aren't cleared up, Elder Lowry will have to undergo a series of tests---possibly a colonoscopy. Yikes.
Welp my companion would like to eat lunch with some members for the last time. Not to mention I am REALLY hungry. So I won't wrote anymore. Just wanted to let you know that I know this work is true. I have said it before and I will say it again, I love it. It's fun being a missionary. The gifts of the Spirit are really poured out upon missionaries. I have found that to be true. I love the ability I have here to reflect, introspect, see myself from afar, and CHANGE. I am in few forms the same person you left at the MTC curb. It's a little weird actually. I love hearing your stories and things that are going on in your lives. I love all of you. Thanks for all you do.

Con Amor, Elder Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment