Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 14, 2011

Well it happened. About an hour ago, after we had a big BBQ on the 25th floor of our Zone Leaders pension, we got a phone call from President King. Special changes will go like this. My new companion, Elder Speakman, is headed to the mission office to be a financial secretary. Elder Smith and Elder Kenison will remain in their sector in Carlos Valdovinos 2, and will absorb me as a trio. Then in 2 weeks, when our Zone Leader goes home, Elder Kenison will leave Carlos Valdovinos and take the spot of him. Elder Smith and I will remain here, and both of the Carlos Valdovinos 1 and 2 will be combined into 1 really really big sector. Then at the end of this change, so 4 weeks mas o menos, Elder Smith goes home as well. I will be the only one left here with the huge sector, and twice the investigators. Oh Joy. I´m excited to get to know the other half of the sector, and even more excited to lose the weight I have put on. All this area to cover means I got lots of walking to do. Yes. I have put on weight. Yes. It is noticable. Yes. That is why I have avoided sending pictures of myself. But thats gonna change. Okay now that all this special changes business is out of the way, lets talk investigators. This week we put a fecha on a young couple (both 18) that have a baby. We have been teaching them a ton lately, and they have been keeping commitments. They´re progessing quick. Also, Paula, an investigator that Elder Martinez and I found forever ago is starting to progress. We left her a Book of Mormon and she read the part we left. She is awesome. Our lessons with her are ideal. Its a question and answer, not just a sit and listen. The next challenge will be getting her to quit smoking. Luckily she told us before we ever said ANYTHING about the word of wisdom that she KNOWS smoking is a sin. So....at least explaining that to her wont be tough. But keep her in your prayers. I am sure quitting will be a big mountain to climb. Also, we are going to set a baptismal date with an investigator named Kiara. She reminds me of an asian version of Dora the explorer. She has been taught by the missionaries before, but never got baptized because she always worked on Sundays. Now, she is free and wants to be baptized. All is good! Starting.....today? Not sure. But I guess starting ASAP I am going to start going into the other sector as well. So I will get to know some of their progressing investigators. I´ll be sure to let you know about them too. I always hear good stories from those Elders at night. A few fun updates form Carlos Valdovinos....Our hot water is slowly disappearing. Something is wrong with our calefon. By tomorrow we are going to have to shower cold. Bummer. Our pension is a wreck. With people constantly in the process of packing and unpacking(except me) our pension is a disaster. Suitcases and crap everywhere. I´m looking forward to a clean pension in a few weeks. Thats it from San Joaquin Comuna this week.
This week I would like to draw the comparison between myself and Nefi, when the Lord commanded him to chop off Labans noggin. In 1st Nefi 4. The simple truth of these scriptures was brought to my mind when I found out I would have to do something difficult this week. I know that when the Lord commands us to do something, we need to do it without hesitation. He has a plan in everything. We don´t always see what the plan is, but He knows.
Happy Valentines Day!!
-Elder Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment