Friday, October 29, 2010

Week 6: Let the Games Begin!

Hey everyone-

These have been some very interesting past few weeks. First my companion went home. Then my second companion and closest friend in the district went home. Well, it didn't get any less crazy this week. My companion, Elder Hassler, and myself were called to be the zone leaders for the next 3 or so weeks on Sunday. We have 5 districts, with 2 more on the way. It's alot of missionaries. To make things even more fun, my companion passed multiple minor kidney stones this week. I spend the majority of my day 2 feet away from a bathroom door. It's awesome. He plays down the pain that he is experiencing but I know it's gotta suck.

So being a ZL is pretty fun. We consider the district leaders here glorified mailmen, and the zone leaders UNglorified mothers. Basically our responsibilties here are to make sure everyone is quiet at 1015, make sure the lights are out at 1030, teach priesthood on Sundays, interview districts, meet with and plan with the branch presidency. ETC. ETC ETC. Mundane and very time consuming. I was terrified when I first found out we would be filling the position. Not because I didn't feel I could do it, but because I felt like I'm already behind in the language and taking the position would drain even more of my limited study time. The fact of the matter is, it DOES drain my study time. However, the old zone leaders who served before us and helped train us gave me a promise. That promise was that I would be blessed for serving the members of the zone with a better knowledge of the language. They promised me that I would learn more in the next 3 weeks than I have previously. I needed to hear that because I felt like the rag doll of the MTC for a while. Going where I was told. Being companion to someone new every week. Moving rooms. All that fun stuff. All is well however, and I think I need the leadership position to improve my people skills. In other news, the other day I walked into the cafeteria and saw some interesting food choices. My two options for the day were cod nuggets, or what looked to me like new born baby poop. Needless to say I stuck with a salad and the left over lines. Wish you could've seen the baby poop casserole.

Best part of my week was that I finally found my scriptures! Long story short, an employee who runs my floor had them and took them to the D.I. No joke. He is a grumpy old guy and chastised me for not coming to him earlier. How was I supposed to know the old hermit on my floor had found my scriptures? Anyways I'm happy he got them back to me, and even happier to be reading in the New Testament in good ol English again.

This week we heard from Bishop Edgely of the presiding bishopric. His talk was my favorite of the MTC so far. He just spoke to me in a way that a friend would speak. Apparently he was a stake president or something in Centerville...who knew? I got a letter from Carson...I mean Elder Gnehm this week. It's the first time I have heard from him so it made me happy. He sounds like he is doing AWESOME. He had 3 baptisms a few weeks ago and had one this past week too. He taught the person from start to finish. Said it was the coolest thing ever. I'm envious. Elder Mulford shipped out this past week. Can't remember if I told you that, but we got to say goodbye and all.

Mom- I know you asked about travel plans. I don't have them. We won't get them til 1 week before we leave. So...somewhere around the 2nd of Novembre. You also asked about pouch mail. Yes. We have it. No. I don't know what the address is. YET. Dad- you mentioned you were curious about where everyone in my district is going. Well we are ALL going to my mission. With the exception of 1 Elder, Elder Allen, the hurt knee one, who is going to Guatamala. He would be there already if it weren't for his knee, and possible other issues. There are SOOOO many Elders here going to Chile. Santiago West in particular. I know of at least 2 other districts that have missionaries bound for Santiago. It's crazy.

Our Sunday fireside was given by Brother Beeson of the MTC something-or-rather. He works here. Enough said. Anyway his wife gave her entire talk through song. Not kidding. She sang in Mo-Tab for a while. However, she wasn't singing like she was in motab. It was comical. She was crazzzzyy. Then Brother Beeson invited all his children in attendance to get up a share a short talk. That must've been fun in front of 2500 missionaries. They knew before hand however and gave excellent insight and advice. All of his children, including daughters, served missions. They were quite the bubbly family. Anyways, I don't have my notes from the meeting so I can't give any awesome quotes and such. I was glad to hear the Chilean miners got out. Sounds like they made a pact while down there to all get some $$$. That's genius. I wonder how solid food is treating them.

Thank you Caitlin for the killer package. I'm the envy of every missionary on my floor. Oreos are under rated. Paige- Thanks for your letter! Glad to hear you are liking your new calling. Especially glad to hear Nugget still knows who I am. I'm thinking about sending her something. You were right by the way, bodies are fascinating. The "our life on earth" section of PMG is so brief and doesn't go into much detail about our bodies. Dad-glad to hear the Giants are doing well. Too bad you can't watch any of there games because you have no ESPN. Ha, being television free is nice. You should consider giving me a break down of college football. Basically I just want to be uplifted sometime later this week by hearing that BYU is losing. It makes me happy. I can hear the games sometimes and I get a chuckle out of it. Hopefully Boise is still going to win out. That'd be cool. I feel like there is very little to write about now, because my life is a kind of a broken record right now. So if anyone has some questions about what my day to day life is like, or about anything, feel free to write. I'll probably respond on Tuesdays because that's the only time I can. CAITLIN- I almost forgot. loved the picture of Baby E. It's on my wall now. please send pics of your house! i wanna see it!!!

20 seconds.

Love everyone
your in my prayers (especially grams and gramps)

No comments:

Post a Comment