Hola! Thanks to everyone who wrote me this week. Sounds like there is a lot brewing back home. Matt-Thank you for that talk! My roommates and I all read and enjoyed it together. I didn't know Holland was over that region of the world. Glad to hear you are busy. I know that is how you and Kiki like it. Keep working hard in school and know that I'm praying for the both of you. Mom!-you asked for some Espanol so your wish will be granted. However, you guys should all know this. Prior to my arriving at the MTC I made the assumption (as did everyone else in my district and virtually every other missionary ever) that most if not all of the class time we have would be focused on learning a new language. I assumed that an RM who spoke the language would come in for a few hours a day and help us learn. That is not the case. It is for other districts. But ours is different. The MTC is currently testing out several different "pilot programs". They all vary in teaching style, duration, etc. Ours, I have to say, IS THE WORST. In the 20 or so days I have been here, we have had 3 lessons on the Spanish language. 2 of those were taught by substitute teachers because our normal teacher was sick. NONE of the lessons have lasted more than 40 minutes. As you can imagine, we started panicking as a district. We noticed that those other missionaries in our building who have been here for the same amount of time are leagues ahead of us. Worse, some friends of mine from highschool and elsewhere who are also learning Spanish seem to be concerned for our district as well. Everyone who comes in contact with us notices we haven't learned as much as them. Our teachers come in for 3 or so hours at a time and will give us some killer lessons on very specific teaching ideas, but never go over concepts pertaining to our language. They keep assuring us we will start learning as a class, but we are freaking out. We still have confidence and faith that the language will come, but we have all come to the conclusion that ANY understanding we will ever attain will come from our own efforts. I knew the language would be difficult for me. Never doubted that. But try teaching yourself the difference between preterit and imperfect, let alone crazy subjunctive stuff. It's rough. However, the Lord will provide a way. I can successfully testify, make a street contact, have simple conversation as long as it pertains to gospel stuff, and I can understand most everything my teachers and other more experienced missionaries say.
In other news, Elder Allen, the kid from Huntsville with the "knee problem" is going to stay in Provo for the remainder of his 9 weeks. His companion Elder Spilker is gone. Off to the Guatamalan MTC. I feel bad for the both of them. Spilker had to fly alone. Allen has some things he's gotta work out. Our district just got back from the temple. It's my favorite part of the week. Relaxing. I have learned more in the temple from the last 3 sessions than I ever thought possible. First and foremost thing I have learned is how much I appreciate everyone back home. I want you all to know how much I love and admire you. Thank you for being temple going, covenant making people. Your examples made the difference in my life.
Grams and Gramps- I was happy to hear you made it to the mountains, despite catching nothing. I know that isn't the most important part of it. I'm glad you guys have a hobby that you can enjoy together, and brings you closer. I look forward to the day I can fish with you again, and to the day I find someone whom I can share everything I love with. I love you guys and hope you are doing well. NEVER forget that what you are doing at your age is a miracle. I like to think the Lord has kept you as physically fit as He has because I needed your influence in my life. Thank you!
This week was for the most part very uneventful. Mundane is the word Paige used in a letter. Days feel like years. Weeks feel like seconds. The devotionals and mission conference meetings held featured no one of great fame. No apostles or anything sweet. We did have a rather funny guy from the Missionary Department of the church come on Sunday. He spoke, as do ALL of the guest speakers, on the importance of obedience. He and his wife both shared some very cool stories relating to the importance of being obedient. My favorite message was the first one he spoke of. 2501 missionaries just finished singing....oh well now I can't remember the song. But in it it talks about joy, and how as saints we are smiling. He pointed out that the 2501 missionaries were anything but.( I think it's because we were all really hoping for an apostle:) He continued by reminding us that our smiles and our countenance will bring people to us as missionaries. He said "we are supposed to be the happiest people on earth, why don't we ever show it?". He related a story of how an investigator came to church one week in the area he was serving. When he didn't keep the appointment he made with the missionaries the following week, they grew concerned. When they tracked the man down, he said he wouldn't join the church because nobody there seemed HAPPY. Isn't it true? I immediately thought of my home ward. Lots of sleepy, bored, long faces. I would challenge EVERYONE to change if you are one of those people. You'll be blessed and people will notice the light in your eyes. That is my spiritual thought for the week. As lame as it sounds. I should let everyone know also, that I am the absolute worst at it. So i'm taking my own challenge.
Paige-Thanks for your encouraging words. I miss you guys a ton. Seriously Q and EEE are the only things my heart is still attached to. You mentioned a possible package in my future. HMMM. Nothing really comes to mind. Landon was right that micro's are in my reach. But all i ever smell is hotpockets which grosses me out. So no Mac N Cheese. Anything you think I might like would be appreciated. Be it food for just fun little random stuff. IE: my room mate just got bouncy balls, bubbles and army guys. weird? ya. but still fun okay my time is ticking in the 30 second range now. I need to go study. Hope you are doing well
Elder Charles Bennion Van Dyke
No comments:
Post a Comment