
"The Roomies"
Elder Van Dyke, Elder Olsen, Elder Hall, Elder Woodbury
Week 1:
Hola!!! Well I'm sure you guys are all dying to know what life in the MTC is really like. Let me fill you in...
Day 1: a series of long lines, waiting for tags, ministerial certificates, etc etc. A lot like the post office. Next thing I know i'm in my residence hall, where I quickly dump my bags and get led to class. When I walk in, I'm the last one there (of coarse) and the teacher is speaking en espanol. ONLY espanol. For a split second I though I might be in the wrong room. So my district is comprised of 12 Elders, from places such as Oregon, Utah...many from Utah, California, Idaho etc etc. 10 of us are going to Santiago West and 2 of them are going to Guatamala. The 2 Guat's only stay here for 3 weeks. My companion is Elder Olsen from San Diego. He is...okay. I always had this fear my first companion would be absolutely awful. That is not the case. But lets just say he could do better in some areas. He told me he came on a mision because his first plan, starting a band with his friends fell through. not kidding. He loves buttrock (google Saosin, Underoath, etc) and is constantly singing or screaming it. I love him, but it is almost always dificil to get him to focus. My dorm, wait no, we aren't supposed to call them dorms, has 4 guys in it. Mi, Elder Olsen, Elder Woodbury from good ol' Kaysville(see alec woodbury in my yearbook) and Elder Hall from Bancroft, Idaho. All great missionaries. AnywayI have to tell you guys the first few days of the MTC were a total blur of overwhelming feelings. Too much to remember in such a brief time. However, every "experienced" Elder kept telling our district to just hang in til Monday. Well I did, and life is good. nuff said. Quick funny and gross story. When I retired to my room the first night I had the responsibility of putting my own bed linens and stuff on. Detailed instructions were included. So when I pulled out my mattress pad, I couldn't help but notice the yellow and brown stains cleary visible. They were positioned on the pad RIGHT were you would think they would be. ca ca. The food here? bien. Nothing is really gross, yet nothing is really good. My meal times are 7, 11:30, and 4:30. So ya, my stomach is the part of my body that is making the biggest adjustment. Gas is common, i'm no exception. Another quick story from life as a missionary- My first day was coming to an end and I had this really really bad rash on my neck from my shirt collar. It only got worse with time. Van Huesen makes one SUCKY shirt. As of now i'm sticking with anything but that brand, so if things don't change I may need some new shirts. DearElder is a very very good thing. Try and use that or just send me real mail. If I get any emails on this I have to read them AND write this one email in 30 minutes or less. Time is a precious commodity here so Dear Elder really saves me. Thanks to Mom, G&G, P, and Toot for writing me. They came at a time when I was feeling a hole. Don't get me wrong. I'm not homesick. Not in the least(no offense). I just was having a
spiritual drought for a few hours. Also this week, starting on Friday I believe, mi companero got sick. Sore throat, plugged nose, the whole thang. Of coarse, I got it. As did a good chunk of my district. Today i'm getting better however. So Paige- has Nugget started preschool? Does she like it? try and convince her to drop me a line:) Now onto the less mundane part of my letter. Sunday was the best day of the week by far. Everyone in branch is supposed to prepare a talk on a given topic, and then 2 elders are asked to give their talk on the spot. I wasn't asked, but I was greatly blessed in being prepared. That has been my focus here thus far. It is two-fold: 1. I'm going to be obedient to every single rule laid before me. Not that i'm a rule keeper by nature or I fear any consequence. I simply need the promised blessings. Espanol is hard. I'm going to need every bit of help from the Lord I can get. If that means being a suck up. So be it. The second part I've been focusing on is My purpose as found in PMG. I've read it a million times before coming here, but am now fully understanding its magnitude. I've had several lessons this week about how important it is to always have your purpose at heart. Great great spirit in those lessons. One last thing I forgot, I won't be able to read the blog paige created just for me. Not here in the MTC at least. It is POSSIBLE i might be able to once I get to Chile if I have permission from Pres. King. Sorry. crap 1 minute. here is some photos!
LOVE YOU ALL- ELDER VAN DYKE
No comments:
Post a Comment