Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week 4-Conference was Great!

Reply

Charles Van Dyke

to me
show details 3:30 PM (3 hours ago)
Hey Everyone! It was great hearing from some of you this week. I hope everyone enjoyed conference as much as I did. Did you guys like the MTC choir? If you felt the power of those who sang in it, just know that I get to experience that twice a week. Except instead of a select few hundred missionaries, its more like
2500. It's bomb. We had a devotional on Sunday following conference on the importance and value of music.Anyways I'll go ahead and get my spiritual thought out of the way first because it's on my mind. My spiritual thought is really just echoing some of the council of the First Presidency. One talk I enjoyed was Uchtdorfs on pride. I thought that message was both powerful and very relevant for myself. However, my very favorite talk was by our prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I loved his talk on gratitude. It made me realize how ungrateful I am for all the beauty that surrounds me. For my awesome family. Por mi opurtunidad servir un mision por dos anos. Y, por mi Salvador y Redentor, Jesucristo. Conference really is a special time. I was glad to have learned that last year at college when I had an empty apartment to listen in. Doing that changed my life and helped me make the decision to serve a mission. I could go on forever about how much I enjoyed conference this year, but won't. But, before I move on...did you guys see anyone in the choir you recognized? I sure did:) In other news, I reported last week that mi maestros weren't teaching me any Espanol. Things have changed. We have since had 3 lessons on different grammar principles. Our pilot program is now taking off and the language is coming hard and fast. I am loving it. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't tough.
What else...OH! Mom-you asked how I want my letters/emails to be posted on the blog. Honestly, I don't care. Whatever you feel would be important or interesting for others to know. Obviously if it is something personal to our family like the last few sentences or something not everyone needs to know, don't post it. But I'll leave it to your discretion. If you'd like, I can start being more organized in my email and letter writing so that you will know exactly what to post. This reminds me...has anyone (sis. mulford?) put together a newsletter of my friends letters? I'm dying to know how Trent is doing. Anyways if something like that is in the works let me know. Mom, I almost forgot! Thank you for the doughnuts! The reason I almost forgot to thank you is that they were gone within 48 hours of them arriving. Donuts are available here too, so my diet has been approximately 35% donut. Life is good. Also, thanks to Paige for the treats and pictures. My sad little carpet wall is becoming more and more cheery with the additions. Sometime this or next week I am planning on sending home a box full of stuff I can't take. My bags were at their max when I left, and I have gained 10+ lbs in Spanish materials etc. Items to expect: El Libro de Mormons, himnos, dictionary, extra stationary that i will eventually want sent back, and a few other random things. Just trying to shed a few pounds. If I could however, I'd love to be the recipient of a few little things. Our bedroom has the permanent smell of old socks and or a public urinal. 2 of the little "renuzit" smelly organisms would be appreciated. If you don't know what i'm talking about, I'm sure someone does. Try to find a scent that is decent. NOT THE BLUE ONE!!! It smells worse then our room. Also, any sort of mints, be they tic-tacs, icebreakers, or whatever else you can find would be greatly appreciated. No gum=no fun. 5-10 dryer sheets would be helpful but not necessary. 1 more t-shirt would be LOVED, preferably a white one like....Seve vs Evan or.....I can't remember anymore but something I'm just going to be using for gym. Last but not least, TIES! As I slightly expected I have an affinity for ties. Any ties I didn't bring would be loved. I think I left a few behind. Word on the street is this-silk ties shrivel in the Chilean humidity. I don't know if that is true or not...but if it is I'm in deep doo doo. Almost all of my ties are silk. I think that is all. Thanks in advance! So as a closing thought here is something that got me really really excited. I can't remember if I told you or not, but, last week, or the week before?, I got an email from my mission president. Everyone in our district got one. It needed to be translated but said somthing along the lines of "bring an emergency fund"..."earthquakes"...yada yada yada. It was exciting. Also, when I signed into my email 28 minutes ago I noticed I have another email from him! I don't know what it says but when I translate it, I will let you know. Should be exciting.
Hope you all are doing well. Love you. Keep doing what is right.
Elder VanDyke

No comments:

Post a Comment