Hola!
It was great seeing everybody the other day. Hope everyone had a great Mother's day. Mom, Paige, Caitlin- You are all fantastic Mothers! You are an example to me of how an Eternal family should function. Kiki-even though you still arent a REAL mom, I have no doubt that you are going to be the best Mom ever. You just have it in your blood I think.
Well I don´t really have a ton to say, seeing as we saw each other not too long ago. But I can fill you in on what happened on Sunday and today up to this point. Sunday we had a few investigators in the church, including Carla who is set to be baptized on the 28th. The meeting was really good, especially a talk by our new Ward Mission Leader, who has only been home from a mission in Argentina for 7 weeks. He spoke about member missionary work...hopefully he lit a fire under some people
The other crazy thing that happened was this. Okay so all the Priesthood was seated or standing(not enough room) in a little classroom, waiting to be dismissed to their individual classes. Then the Bishop says he has 1 announcement before we break up. He gets up in front of the small but packed room and holds up the temple recommend book. The typical white binder that has temple info in it. He holds it up and asks ¨Who all knows what this is?¨. Heads nodded. Then he opens it up and says ¨im going to read the 8th question that is asked in a temple reccommend interview¨. He then proceeds to read the question, which talks about fulfilling your responsibilities and honoring covenants. Then he makes mention to those of us who have entered into the temple, and a certain covenant we made there. Then he says, obviously obset....¨this past week, the older Priesthood holders were assigned to clean the church. You all raised your hands and said you would be there, helping. When the cleaning night came around, there were 2 of us there. This is the 3rd time that this has happened, And I was very clear the last time that you all NEEDED to be there. As Priesthood holders, you are to fulfill your responsibilities, and IF NOT, you are not worthy to enter the temple. I ask that all of you find a moment to enter my office today, and give me your temple recommends. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.¨
BOOOOOOOOOOM. The whole room went silent. Everyone of the older guys knew they were in the wrong. It was an awkward few moments. It seems rough, but its how more people need to be here in Chile. People do not take the Priesthood seriously, and actually believe that laziness is a valid excuse. Bishop Alvarez does not feel that way. Haha. It was epic, but needed to happen.
For P-day, we played futbol at the chapel Esquina Blanca(which is where the mission office is) Then we all ate together at Pizza Hut. Its EXACTLY what we did last week. But it was fun. Tonight we´ve got some appointments with progressing investigators and an investigator we recently found. I am excited to get to know em.
Right now I am studying Faith. I read in Alma......8 i think. I dont have my scriptures with me. But in the chapter it speaks of Alma preaching to Ammoniahs people. They reject him, tell him that they dont believe in the goofy traditions of their Fathers, and even spit on him. I would relate that to life(specifically bad days of missionary work). Sometimes things just dont go your way. Then in the very same chapter, he finds Amulek. The man who was waiting for him. The man prepared to hear the Gospel. That chapter really sums up missionary work. Highs and lows. I want you all to know just how sweet the highs are. The Gospel is true and there is nothing more rewarding then sharing it with those who are ready to learn.
Love you all
Elder Charlie Van Dyke
Hey Dad, was great seeing you yesterday. Real quick here are the answers to your questions...
1. Yes. we use cellphones. We have a limited amount of minutes that is divided up into 3 different categories. Missionary to Missionary, which is unlimited always. Then our cell to landlines, which most people don't have here...so we don't get many of those every month. And finally cell to cell, which we use mostly. They run out by the end of the month though.
2. Elder Hall was in Los Heroes with Elder Teran from Peru last change. They lived in the pension with Elder Bybee from Vegas and Tello from Argentina. Elder Tello and Teran left, leaving Hall and Bybee. It always works like that, unless someone gets white washed into a sector...which is rare.
3. Wheelwrights Dad is Bryce. Connection made. How did you say you know him?
4. The sector of Elder Hall and I is called Los Heroes, because that is the name of our ward. We live with the 2 Elders that belong to the ward Las Naciones. They go to the chapel on the street Nueva San Martin with 4 Poniente. Hall and I go to a chapel a little further away on the streets German Garces and Barros Lucos. In both of our ward buildings there are 2 wards that meet there. 1 companionship per ward. So when we are finishing Sacrament meeting at 10, another ward comes in and starts theirs. The other 2 missionaries that use our building are 2 Argentinos, Elders Aguilar and Gimenez. Both really cool.
If you have any more questions....ask away. It always makes it easier for me to write if I have something specific in mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment