Monday, December 27, 2010

Monday, December 27,2010

¨Hellooo¨ How ur jeww? (as pronounced by middle aged shirtless man I pass everyday)
It was soooo cool to see everyone this week and hear your voices. Everyone looks great. Hope the humidity and heat in Hawaii was nice, and the cold rainy weather in Utah was even better. I never forget to pray for rain. No me gusta la humildad aqui. Super super super fome. Nugget-You have a great singing voice!! Make sure you sing your Mom and Dad a song every night before you go to bed. I am happy that you like school. I can´t believe you can count and say the alphabet. Good job! Keep being a good girl in school! I hope Santa brought you everything you wanted! Will you write me and tell me everything that Santa brought you? Love ya Nugget.
Well I figure I saw you a few days ago so I don´t need to write much. I can use my time here to send lots of photos. Just thought I´d fill in everyone on what happened the last few days. I went to the Sandovals house for Christmas eve dinner. We had a huge asado(BBQ) and ate reallllyyyy well. Then we had to leave at 11. So the four of us Elders had a little Christmas party in our pension. We played Uno. Party animals I know. Then Christmas day we visited members in the ward. Ate a lot. And played more Uno. One thing that I have found is served with almost every meal here is an ensalada. It is typically lettuce with big tomato chunks. They don´t use any dressing except lemon juice, vinegar, and oil. But the problem is the tomato. I hate em. I have to eat at least a tomato a day. A really common thing they do is take a tomato, carefully hollow it out, and stuff it with onion, tuna, and liquid cheese. I like none of those things. But I eat it with a smile....and lots of coca cola.

My thought this week comes from our Mission Conference. Elder Corbridge of the Area Presidency spoke. He talked about the factual evidence that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God. He named off a 2 page list of accomplishments that Joseph had, any 1 of which would have been a big accomplishment in any persons life. Some included- he wrote a 600 plus page book about an ancient people with distinct culture that is completely true. He was a government official multiple times. He planned and built temples. He organized a church, bank, different funds, etc. Planned cities. Organized exoduses. Was imprisoned. And never made it to 40 years old. Tons more stuff. Then Elder Corbridge layed it out black and white. The only 2 possibilities are this. Joseph was crazy, or Joseph was a Prophet. Then you have to ask the question...WHY? Why would a crazy person prophesy that the church they started was going to fill the whole earth? In reality, that sounds crazy. But it is happening. And he was a prophet. I know he was. I know that facts alone prove he had help from above. But that won´t convert someone. The only way to know if he was a prophet of God perfectly, is to ask our Heavenly Father. That is my testimony and the testimony of Elder Corbridge. It was a sweet conference

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Especially those serving. Hope those of you in France were fed well. I have no doubt you were. Hope Trent went to an asado and didn´t have to eat tomatoes. Hope Mully celebrated Christmas. I don´t know how fast word gets out there to his private island. Hope Steve ate porotos. Ya.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Elder Van Dyke
asado....only a small portion of the meat...
Huge spider on Christmas
Christmas Party
Each elder at our party was from a different country
Guatamala, Italy, Argentina, USA, El Salvador, Peru, Columbia.....and so on
Baptism

Fountain at Santa Lucia. You can almost see the top too
Looking South from Santa Lucia. My sector starts right where the big buildings end in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment